Heading out of the country with your family? Everyone must have a passport, including baby! Passports usually process within 4-6 weeks so apply well in advance, and bring these things with your to your local Passport Agency :
- One 2 x 2 inch color photo of the child. A professional picture is preferred, but some easy guidelines for taking an infant passport photo at home can be found on the State Department’s website.
- Child’s original birth certificate. (If the applicant wasn’t born in the United States bring proof of citizenship.)
- Child’s social security number.
- Both parents with valid ID’s (plus a photocopy of the first page of your passport or the front & back of your driver’s license. If you are not the child’s birth parents, be sure to bring legal forms proving guardianship or adoption.)
- A letter of consent – form DS 3053 – if a single parent is applying for the passport. If you have sole custody this must be proven via court order, death certificate, adoption decree, etcetera.
- $80 passport fee +$25 execution fee.
- A completed but unsigned DS-11 application form – this can be found and completed onsite. (You will sign it in front of the Acceptance Agent.)
Fees and regulations are always changing, more information of the application of minors under 16 can be found here.